Monday, January 23, 2012

World of Warcraft Gold Challenge - Beta Competition Hour 1

I decided to make a Human Rogue for the competition, thinking that stealth may be useful in helping to get my couple stacks of copper ore that I need to begin my reselling journey at the Auction House. Stormwind is the best Auction House in terms of distance between mailbox, bank, vendor, and auctioneers, plus the run from the newbie area is not that far. Like the Alpha Competition, my plan was simple: quickly level up my character to level 5 or 6. Take the silver and buy mining and a pick axe in Stormwind. Then run the hills south of Goldshire in Elwynn Forest for 3 stacks of copper ore. Being level 6 meant that I was able to kill spiders and wolves instead of having to run or die to them.

After having done this and accrued my 3 stacks of Copper a little past the 1 Hour of /played time mark, I think the better strategy would be to skip any sort of skill up except getting the bare minimum silver it takes to buy Mining and to buy a pick axe. My guess is that you'll hit level 3. While you will certainly die more this way while trying to get your 3 stacks of copper ore, I think the time saved will more than pay off. And really, even 1 stack of copper ore *might* be enough to get the ball rolling. A stack of copper ore should fetch between 5g and 10g, and that is enough to start checking under-vendor-price items on the Auction House, plus the basic intro strategy of picking up Green items under 50s. I think to be safe though, 2 stacks should be the minimum. You don't want to have to run back out to do more, which reminds me that I was able to save a few minutes by binding at the inn when I got to Stormwind. Like I said, you are only going to be doing one mining run, so when you get your mining skill, don't forget to bind your hearthstone.

Total Assets at the end of 1 hour:  About 10 Silver and 2 stacks of copper ore


1 comment: