Friday, November 12, 2010

World of Warcraft Gold Challenge: Alpha Competition - Hour 3

Stormwind City, Auction House - The first great score came at roughly 2 hours 40 minutes of /played time.  I had run a few quick Auction House scans and came up with a few items to resell -- some low level Green gear, a few under priced herbs like swiftthistle and dreamfoil, and a few decent vendor items (one high level green piece netted 8 gold profit alone on simply running it across the square to the vendor).  But the big one came when I found Belt of Tasseled Lanterns on sale for 19 gold.  I did a quick check at Allakhazam's pricing data and sure enough, I ought to be able to get 100-150 gold for it.  Even though it cost me most of my liquid gold, it was a risk I knew I had to take.  The margin was too high, and it's just the sort of item that a level 80 hunter or possibly shaman would easily plunk a hundred gold on.

When I logged back in after a few hours, it had sold for my posting price of 99 gold, which at that point nearly tripled my highest previous gold total.  I still need to be cautious at this point, but all of the sudden running an item from the mailbox to the vendor for 10s profit doesn't seem as good a deal as it did an hour of /played time ago.  Finding that belt early on could prove to save hours of time given I just jumped through one of the steepest parts of the gold accumulation curve.  Another decent score during this time frame was finding a Belt of Valor for 5 gold and quickly reselling it for 19 gold.

In the past on my normal server, when I fiddled with the reselling market, my general policy was to buy Blue (Rare) items at 10 gold and under and mark them up to 45 gold.  Of course, that's a very general rule, but it seemed that this was a pattern that worked for a lot of blue items.  In this gold-making challenge, I'm going to be especially careful not to price the same way I would if I had infinite resources.  I need items to turn over quickly.  I don't want to get stuck in a situation where I've got ten great items posted at prices that should sell over a one-week time frame and miss out on an item I could buy for 500 and flip for 1500 in a 24 hour time frame.  It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.  And *especially* with this being the very end of an expansion, I expect to see some bizarre pricing in the Auction House.  For example, a few days before I started this challenge, I found a Shadowblade on my home server for 50 gold which I quickly flipped for 500 gold profit.

Total Assets at the end of 3 hours:  About 170 gold

Go to Hour 4 of the Alpha Competition

No comments:

Post a Comment