Thursday, November 25, 2010

World of Warcraft Gold Challenge: Alpha Competition - Hour 23

Ironforge, Auction House - Trying to scrape toward the finish line is sort of like trying to make the money when you are short-stacked in a poker tournament.  You keep waiting for a great hand so that you can feel like you gave it your best shot if you bust out, but there's also that part of you that nags and begs to just hang on and maybe limp into the money.  Well, I've by-passed some reasonable deals coasting toward 10k in order to limit my risk, which has been very unfulfilling.  I did buy a Nightblade for 100g and relisted it at 175g.  That's a great deal at any other point in a reseller's existence and I'd probably sit on it at a relisting of 300-400g, but, I was up to 9300 liquid gold this hour.  So close I can smell it, yet, my inventory is borderline wretched.  There's an old saying in the used book business, "The bad drives out the good".  Basically, this means that the crap is going to sit on the shelf longer than the good stuff, and if you aren't vigilant, you may end up with a lot of crap sitting on the shelf that you have an innate sense is worth more than it actually is.  Sort of an optical illusion for the business world.  I do believe I am suffering from this phenomenon at this point.

Looking back on my early success in this competition, a big boost came from finding a bunch of stuff priced under vendor value at the very beginning.  I've checked vendor values all throughout the competition, and I think I was exceptionally lucky to find what I did when I did.  This might mean that in future competitions that I'm going to need to spend a little more time mining/herbing out in the wild in order to reliably make my seed money. 

One nice thing about this hour, I found another MVP Belt of Tasseled Lanterns for just 10 gold. Not sure why nobody realizes that this thing sells for 50 gold, quickly.  Might be one of those cases where a gear-slot is hard to find suitable items for.

Total Assets after 23 hours:  About 11500 gold

Go to Hour 24 of the Alpha Competition

No comments:

Post a Comment