Wednesday, November 17, 2010

World of Warcraft Gold Challenge: Alpha Competition - Hour 10

Ironforge, Auction House - The dismay of realizing that the Elemental invasion occurs in Ironforge as well as Stormwind makes me think that I really did pick the wrong time to try this challenge.  What I ought to be doing with my WoW account right now is leveling a few alts given that it is ridiculously easy to kill mobs with the changes since the 4.0 patch.  But, I get bored quickly with grinding, so I guess I'm stuck with despawning auctioneers, one-shot deaths from level 80 bad guys, and a sinking feeling that this challenge isn't going to be completed within the 30 hour time-frame that I'd hoped for.

I'm in one of those moods where I feel like I might just ride the tram between Ironforge and Stormwind all night and admire all the determined faces of the many different people of this world. Someone in the trade channel said that they were suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.   I asked why.  He said he'd seen an Orc changing his gear in Booty Bay.  And it was like a thousand lonely Alliance members felt the dull warmth of understanding swell up inside of us as we filled the trade channel with consolation to this fallen angel.  In some strange way it made me feel better about my plight, like somehow I could go on living.

And with that inspiration, I found a Glowing Brightwood Staff for 100g.  Not a great price, but I should be able to work 100g profit out of it within a week. Won a  Burning Skull Pendant on bid for 6 gold.  Just shows that putting in a bid, no matter how low, sometimes pays off.  Also shows that you should never, ever rely on bidding to get the price you want for your auctions.  Buyout is the only way to go.  This doesn't mean that you can't set a bid price somewhere below the buyout to tantalize the buyer looking for a deal -- just don't take the risk of setting it too low.  Makes me wonder what the AH would be like if they had proxy bidding like eBay does.  This would simply mean that you'd input the highest price you'd be willing to pay for an item, and the auction house would automatically "bid" for you up to that price.  So you might get it for a much lower price if nobody else was interested in it.  The nice thing about buyouts, again, is that it only takes one buyer to find your buyout.  In a bidding war, you need at least two interested buyers to push the price up.

Total Assets at the end of 10 hours:  About 2800 gold

Go To Hour 11 of the Alpha Competition

No comments:

Post a Comment