Saturday, November 20, 2010

World of Warcraft Gold Challenge: Alpha Competition - Hour 15

Ironforge, Auction House - Frostweave Cloth has tremendous liquidity.  If you set your price as the lowest buyout on the board for a stack of 20, you can bet it will be sold within an hour unless you are undercut in that time frame.  I managed to score about 30 stacks of Frostweave between bids and buyouts over the past day with an average stack cost of about 7g.  In a matter of minutes after I'd listed half of them at 13g a stack, they'd sold.  I've been watching the cloth market for the past few days, and I'm not sure why there is such a glut of Runecloth.  I think the answer might be that dungeons drop a lot of cloth, and because it is so much easier to run dungeons now that the dungeon finder has been implemented, I'm just not used to seeing the mass quantity of cloth available.  And when there is too much supply hitting the market, there is only one place for price to go.

I believe that my success during this challenge would have been doubled had I been willing to dabble in the glyph or jewelcraft markets.  Especially with the recent changes to the way that glyphs work (once you learn one, it goes in your "glyph" book forever, sort of like a spell), players have been making fortunes by supplying the realm with all of the glyphs that everyone suddenly wanted to buy so that they could complete their glyph collection.  I think the lesson here for future challenges would be:  know what is hot, and even if it is a boring market to deal in, there's got to be a lot of money for even a reseller to make timely flips on in-demand glyphs. 

I got lucky again this hour and found a Zom's Crackling Bulwark for 85g and a Durable Nerubhide Cape for 65g.  They were relisted for 750g and 200g respectively.  Also, I've found two Belt of Tasseled Lanterns in the past 24 hours for under 20g.  (You might recall that this belt was my first big success at the AH during this challenge).  One has sold for 65g already and the other is listed presently at 80g.

Given that my liquid gold reserve has pushed above 1500g, I've been looking for a few investment-type items.  Things that may need to sit a few days before the sell, and things that may only have a 30-40% return.  No sense in holding gold until I'm ready to cash out, so, I bought up all the Relic of Ulduar up to 75% of present market value and relisted them at 120%.  All I need is one player who is eager to complete their Sons of Hodir reputation grind.

Total Assets after 15 hours:  About 5200 gold

Go to Hour 16 of the Alpha Competition

No comments:

Post a Comment